Squaw Valley recently issued a detailed statement regarding the news the coliform and E.coli were found in the drinking water of the resort’s upper mountain region.
The water contamination, which caused a potential health issue at the resort, was reported on November 8 to the Placer County Department of Environmental Health. Since then, the water has been consistently treated and is showing signs of improvement. Wesley Nicks, director of Placer Country Environmental Health, also confirmed that the water is showing no signs of E.coli and low levels of coliform.
All upper mountain restaurants are still closed, and skiers are not permitted to drink the water until the it has been confirmed that the water is safe again. At this time, there have been no health issues, and Squaw Valley still allows guests to participate in top to bottom skiing.
Liesl Kenney, the public relations director for Squaw Valley, issued an official statement on November 30. She states that a very heavy rain in October affected several Placer County water systems. The rainstorm affected the High Camp and Gold Coast areas of Squaw Valley.
Kenney states that the water contamination was limited to these systems, and none of the other Squaw Valley water systems were affected. Contaminated water was never available to the public.
After routine testing revealed the contamination issue, Squaw Valley immediately got in touch with Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District. Squaw Valley moved right away to address the water issue, and also contacted several other water safety experts. Kenney asserts that Squaw Valley won’t return to regular water usage for Gold Coast and High Camp until health officials have verified that the water is safe to consume again.